Saturday 10 September 2011

Girls textured flower scarf - free pattern!


A few weeks ago my 6 year old neice mentioned to my sister that we never make anything for her, only the younger children - bring on the mega guilt from Aunty Mauv!! Well her birthday is coming up and after a failed attempt at making some mittens (ended up being the worlds longest, thinnest, pointiest mitten...) I decided to make a scarf instead. I just made it up as I went along, luckily I wrote it down so I can now share my first ever pattern with you!





100g Chunky wool - I used Robin Chunky but any would do.
7.5mm straight needles
6 buttons for decoration

This makes a child length scarf of  39 inches - if you want it longer just increase the centre portion of the pattern.

Main Scarf
CO 22

K1 P1 across row
P1 K1 across next row

Repeat until work measure 4.5 inches from cast on

Decrease 8 stitches evenly across next row

Carry on stitch pattern for 30 inches (total length from cast on edge will be 34.5 inches )

Increase 8 inches evenly across next row

Return to original stitch pattern for 4.5 inches and bind off.

Flowers

The flowers are knit in two sections and then joined together

Larger section x 6

CO 20 stitches

Knit four rows

K2tog across next row

K2tog next row again

Bring thread round through remaining stitches on needle, slip of needle and pull tight. You will end up with this (see pic below!)

Sew up gap to make a circle and fasten off.

Smaller section x 6

CO 10

Knit two rows

K2tog across next row

k2tog, k1, k2tog

Thread wool through remaining stitches, slip off needle and sew up to make another circle (same as above)


Sew the smaller section into the centre of the larger section to create the flower.


Finishing

Sew your chosen buttons into the centre of the flowers and attach the flowers to the scarf. I sewed right around the edge of the flower to stop them flapping around so much (and also make it more secure - its for a 7 year old, it will probably be dragged along the floor at some point...)












2 comments:

  1. Adorable! How did your niece like it? I have an 8 year old niece and was thinking she would like this as well. Thanks for creating it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cute! I like the grey with the pops of color from the buttons!

    ReplyDelete